CuChullain’s 3-15 Tir Chonaill Geals 0-2

by Padraig Biggane on August 23, 2011

Junior Championship Semi-Final (20-08-2011)

With a place in the County Final of the Junior Football Championship up for grabs, CuChullains played Tir Chonaill Gaels (TCG) in Ruislip on Sunday 21st August. When the final whistle came CuChullains had booked their place in their third final in four years with a convincing win.

The game started with TCG making two sharp attacks which ended in wides. For the next ten minutes both teams looked nervous with bad passing and shooting. CuChullains finally opened the scoring with fine points from Sean Kelly 0-2 and Christopher Eastwood. After some good play from John Kinch, Eastwood had an attempt on goal which went narrowly wide.

A few minutes later from a CuChullains kick out the ball was won in midfield and played directly into the forward line where Sean Kelly knocked it in to the path of the on rushing Aidian Power who slotted it low and hard into the corner of the net. As the first half continued CuChullains took hold of the game and seem to be able to pick out players at will, then an incident which ended the game as a contest occurred. Kevin Cott had picked up the breaking ball in his half of the field and as he made his run forward he was caught on the jaw with a late elbow from a TCG player. This incident gave the referee no option but to send the TCG player off and reducing TCG to 14 players. With the extra man CuChullains finished the first half strongly with two amazing points from tight angles from Darren Wynne and Christopher Eastwood and a point from Sean Kelly. At half time the score line read CuChullains 1-6 Tir Chonaill Geals 0-0.

The second half continued just as the first had finished with CuChullains well on top scoring a goal and two points from Christopher Eastwood and a well taken free from Padraig Biggane. CuChullains then made a double substitute with Sean Maloney coming on for Darren Wynne and Mick Galvin coming on for Padraig Biggane. With Sean Maloney’s first touch of the ball he kicked over a fine point.

CuChullains midfield was working well making strong runs and chipping in with a fine point from long range from John Kinch. CuChullains full forward Sean Kelly then went on a scoring spree hitting four points in a row. With the game already won CuChullains then made a further three changes bringing on Christy O Shea, Damian Barker and Paddy O Connor. Christy O Shea had an instant impact on the game with some amazing skill he laid off a pass to Sean Kelly who kicked a fine point. From the TCG kick out they were able to work the ball down the field with pace and accuracy to get their first score of the game which was quickly doubled after winning the kick out and getting a free. CuChullains then closed out the game with a goal from Mick Galvin and a point from Sean Kelly. When the referee blew the final whistle CuChullains won with a score line of 3-15 to 0-2.

Team and scorers:

Dennis Bradley
Patrick Joe Cashman, Keith McGovern, Liam Dunne,
Kevin Cott, Anthony Tighe, Danny Denton,
Fiachra McLoughlin, John Kinch (0-1),
Padraig Biggane (0-01), Aidan Power (1-0), Darren Wynne (0-1),
Christopher Eastwood (1-3) Kieran Wynne, Sean Kelly (0-8)

Sean Maloney (0-1)

Mick Galvin (1-0)
Damian Barker
Christy O Shea
Paddy O Connor (JAY)
Michael Hughes (Greene).

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: